Last year, we took a road trip to San Francisco with our dog. First of all, the hills here are no joke. We are believers that the best way to see a city is by walking it, but this place is different. Be prepared to take cabs from place to place. It is also really spread out, so if you try to walk, you will spend most of your day going from A to B rather than seeing the sights.
Here are our top 5 favorite things we did in SF:
1. The Presidio: This park is amazing. It is the old U.S. Army base and many of the historical structures still exist today. There is even a museum in memory of Walt Disney there as well as a beautiful bed and breakfast located in the old Pershing Hall, which served as the social and administrative center when it was a military base.
2. Union Street: Between Steiner St. and Gough St. is a great place to find a cup of coffee, a bite to eat or do a little shopping. It is a wonderful area with boutique shops and cute restaurants. If you head this way, we recommend Wrecking Ball Coffee Roasters for a cup of joe.
3. Golden Gate Park & Ocean Beach: This is another great place to walk your dog, go for a jog or just experience a leisurely stroll in the park. Small ponds and various gardens sprinkle the park such as the Rose Garden and the Shakespeare Garden as well as a Golf Course and other interesting finds. We even came across an old Windmill! Ocean Beach is a huge beach at the end of the park that is great to run your dog or have a bon fire.
4. The Palace of Fine Arts: This building is striking when you see it for the first time. Amidst all of the victorian homes and windy streets rises a tall pink and orange rotunda of greek and roman style flanked by columns and surrounded by a lagoon. When we first stumbled upon this beautiful monument we had no idea what it was, but soon came to find out it was the Palace of Fine Arts built during the 1915 Panama-Pacific Exposition.
5. Crissy Field & the Golden Gate Bridge: If you walk along the beach at Crissy Field, you get a perfect view of the Golden Gate Bridge in front of you and the Presidio behind you.
Disclaimer: Because we had our dog with us, we couldn't do a few sights and so they are not on this list such as Alcatraz or any of the museums. Those are on our list for next time!